Where does God live?

Last night, Ben and I had a deep metaphysical religious discussion in the place where such discussions usually take place - a stall in the second floor men's room of the Dunwoody United Methodist Church. I'll spare everyone the details of what we were doing in there and skip to the more interesting conversation, at least such as I can recall.

Ben: Daddy, where does God live?
Daddy: In heaven.
Ben: Oh. Does he live in here? [pointing to chest]
Daddy: Well, yes, I suppose he lives in there, too.
Ben: But, he can't live in here, 'cause then we can't see him. And you can see people!
Daddy: Well, God's not really a person. He's special. You can't see him.
Ben: That's not right. [Thinks for a moment.] Maybe God lives in that vent. [points to a vent]
Daddy: Well, God is sort of everywhere, so I guess he's in that vent, too.
Ben: [laughing] That's funny, Daddy.

I found out later from talking to Mommy that this was not the first time Ben's asked these questions, but it was the first for me. I thought I handled it well - not too much theology for a four year old, and he seemed satisfied with the answers. But it does make me worry about what's coming next.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?